Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Cage a Birdwatcher?

So we've been talking about birdwatching in my environmental ethics class, and I've concluded that if Cage wasn't a mushroomer, he'd definitely be a birdwatcher. In fact, a birdwatcher seems even more fitting for cage, because they make noise -or music. I'm sure if he'd turned more of his attention to birds, they would have worked their way into his compositions. He'd be like a Messienne, only a bajillion times better, because he's Cage. Or maybe not. I mean, birds like to learn new songs and are copying off of one another all the time and they inevitably incorporate some sort of pattern into their music. Definitely not indeterminate enough for Cage. Yeah, they're probably real egotistical too, like Beethoven. I can just imagine a robin or something tweeting out it's' hallelujah chorus, forcing its emotions upon you. Yeah, it's better that Cage was a mushroomer. Mushroom s have a much more limited influence over one's compositions.
I did hear an interesting piece on the radio a few days ago. They were talking about these birds who incorporate song into their mating rituals, and how it functions throughout their entire relationship. Apparently, the male birds have commitment issues and try to cheat on their wives be singing to other girl birds. When this happens, the wife actually interrupts his courtship song to keep him from hitting on the other girl birds! Ha! I thought it was funny...
Oh, and just as a side note, I bought my dad a book on mushroom identification for his birthday. He wants to go out mushroom hunting just like Cage (he just doesn't know it yet).

No comments: