Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Incoherent Ramblings

I was skeptical about choosing this class for my FYS, mostly because I don't know the first thing about music or it's progression over the years. I'm completely and totally musically challenged; the closest I've come to playing an instrument is the recorder in 3rd grade. One time I did take a piano class that a family friend had already paid for while they were on vacation and I can kind of play happy birthday. Reading the texts, I've seen a lot of names and terms that I'm unfamiliar with. However, over the past couple of classes, I've come to really enjoy it. I was surprised by how much I actually liked the CD we got on Monday. I thought I was going to get a good laugh out of it, but I actually liked it. I've found myself going into my music player and actually opting to play some of the songs. Some are a tad weird for my taste though. The song talking about papers definitely confused me.
Cage's style is like nothing I've ever listened to before, but I really like it. I've always found joy in just sitting places and listening (a bit odd, i know) and never knew that some viewed it to be a form of music. I really like the idea of 4'33" and how it's different everytime you listen to it. I like how a big group of people can listen to it and interpret it in numerous ways. That's what I think music is all about; being able to interpret and hear it in your own way. Cage nailed that idea. I also like the idea that he wasn't afraid to put himself out there and try something new. He wasn't afraid to branch off from mainstream music and do his own thing.
I think with time I'll come to understand the class as a whole better as the year goes on, but for now I'll just enjoy listening to my orange CD.


P.S. Anyone have a red CD I can borrow to rip to my computer?

No comments: