Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Anechoic Chamber

"It was at Harvard not quite forty years ago that I went into an anechoic [totally silent] chamber not expecting in that silent room to hear two sounds: one high, my nervous system in operation, one low, my blood in circulation. The reason I did not expect to hear those two sounds was that they were set into vibration without any intention on my part. That experience gave my life direction, the exploration of nonintention. No one else was doing that. I would do it for us. I did not know immediately what I was doing, nor, after all these years, have I found out much. I compose music. Yes, but how? I gave up making choices. In their place I put the asking of questions. The answers come from the mechanism, not the wisdom of the I Ching, ." --John Cage, 1990
When I was reading about this in the book, I started thinking about the fact that it truely is never completely silent. It does not matter whethere there was any intention of being sounds made or not, there would always be something. Or at least if those few sounds coming from ourselves cease to exist, then consequently so would we. Hopefully there will always be the sounds of breathing, blood flow, and the nervous system. So with this in mind, that makes you think well if that is true then that in a way implies that sound was always supposed to exist in some way, shape, or form. I mean what would the world be or what would exist on it if there was no longer any kind of sound what so ever? There would be no living thing on Earth, and so even if there was something else making noise, would it be heard? It is kind of like if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around, does it make a sound? It all depends on the perspective.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the information

For more info : Vacuum Altitude Chamber