Saturday, September 27, 2008

Love? I have no idea what that means.

Where does a cliche come from? I mean, at some point, it wasn't cliche to write a love poem or song describing the beauty of a woman or the feats one would do to obtain her. Now, however, we hear one line like, Your eyes are as bright as the moon, and we automatically think "bullshit". Why is that? If you've read any Shakespeare, you'll know what I'm talking about. His plays and sonnets are filled with what we would now consider cliches but that wasn't the case when he wrote them, so what has changed? I think a lot of it has to do with how much it is copied, or used afterwards. If so many people didn't relate to love songs, then their wouldn't be such repetitiveness among so many of them. They become bullshitty for us, when we feel like we've heard it before, when we feel like the person isn't being sincere because they aren't having original thoughts and feelings to express themselves. But in all fairness, Love is not an original idea. Yes, there are many forms to it and it is different in some ways for everyone, but there still remains underlying factors of Love. 
I think another reason we tend to label love songs as fake or unreal, is because we may not have experienced that yet in our lives. It's hard for me to understand someone pledging their life's devotion, because I am nowhere near ready for a commitment like that in my own life. So when I hear someone singing about it, especially when the singer is my age or younger, it's unbelievably hard to accept as sincere. That doesn't make it bullshit though. I'm not saying there aren't love songs that are complete b.s., but i don't think as a whole they are. Just because someone is elaborating on a feeling they have for another person doesn't make it any less true. They may add fancy phrasing, but that only means they put more thought into it than in some everyday occurance. In all honesty, I think taking time to describe in acute detail how or what you feel makes those songs more real,more true. 
Love is complicated, and yet simple sometimes. It's beautiful, painful, difficult, joyous, exhilerating, and a billion other things. So how could we call anyone a bullshitter when writing about it. Almost anything applies, and for that person it may be completely different or very very similar to others' experiences with love. 

No comments: