Friday, September 12, 2008

Not Sure Where to Stand

I can see both sides of the debate that was raised in class today. I can see where some may view Cage's music as not music at all but rather just noise. On the other hand, I can also see how others may view his music to be insightful and eye opening. I think it's just a matter of how you're feeling when you listen to it. I think that, like how your mood effects how you may interpret a piece written by Cage, it can also effect how you view Cage and his concepts as a whole. For me, I've been on both sides. Sometimes I can see what Cage means and relate to the concept he's trying to get across. Other times it just seems like he's out in left field and I have absolutely NO idea what he's talking about. Sometimes I'll like a piece by Cage and other times it won't appeal to me. I think it's all a matter of mood and attitude. If you're not feeling open about what you're listening to, of course you won't like the music.
Sometimes I do wonder though, if Cage wouldn't have succeeded better doing something else besides writing music. His ideas are phenomenal and if he would have worked harder to try to get people to see his ideas through some other form other than music, I think he would have been more accepted and listened to. I think a lot of people thought he was a joke and therefore didn't listen to what he was saying. If those people would only have listened to what he was trying to say rather than automatically writing him off to be some kind of jokester, they might have seen that he had a lot of important and insightful things to say. Although Cage "had nothing to say", I think he's said an awful lot; it's just a matter of if people are willing to be open to what he's had to say or not.

No comments: